Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our trip to Fort Polk, Louisianna

We are finally back from our trip to Fort Polk, Louisiana for Jeff's company retirement party.  The drive out seemed to pass very quickly. The first day we drove 10 of the 13 hours instead of 6 or 7 as we had planned.

We arrived on Friday while Jeff was at work. We were able to catch up some with Lisa and finally meet her daughter, Amber and her friend, Ashley. Ashley is living with them and attending culinary school while Amber is going to cosmotology school.

Jeff finally arrived, he came in from a different way than we did so he saw our car but figured it was one of the kids friends. When he came in he saw Pop and Hunter. I heard "Holy crap, what are you doing here"? That made the last 6 weeks of secrecy totally worth it. I am not good with secrets, I had to watch what I posted on Facebook, what was said on emails and the phone. Not to mention 13 hours of driving and I couldn't even amuse myself with updates as Jeff might see them!!!

Lisa, Amber and Ashley like to cook. When we arrived they were making camouflage cupcakes for the party, then we had brats and peppers for lunch, pancakes one morning-chocolate chip, blueberry and plan in addition to a "low boil". We had never had a low boil which was very good!!!! All I can say is thank goodness they like to cook. By the end of the weekend, I was overwhelmed by the amount of cooking and cleaning. I really don't understand how it is enjoyable or relaxing!!! However, I haven't figured out how to pass on eating everything. If I could do that I would be so much better off!!!!

Jeff took the boys (Hunter, Pop and James) on a driving tour of the base. Hunter was totally enthralled with the hummers. He even asked "can we put a gun on top"? We have another generation of military growing up but he hasn't decided which branch of the service would be best.

We did watch the Brigade retirement video. It was ok but the best part was Amber and Ashley's running commentary of what all was really going on… a military wive with pink hair, daughter's dressed in goth clothing, a child being sick in the middle of the ceremony, Ashley being hit on during the ceremony while moving onto Amber's lap to escape. Sometimes editing is not as exciting as the real thing. I was laughing so hard I was crying!!!

Saturday night we had to be at the Catfish Hut for the Company retirement party. This was the party with all the people that Jeff works with everyday. Thanks so much to 1st SGT Jack (I don't even know his last name) but he planned the whole thing. Of course, when I put my purse down I didn't know I was sitting across from 1st SGT Jack and Commander Napier. 1st SGT Jack will be the next to retire sometime next year and Captain Napier looks like he is still in his late 20's!!! No wonder they call Jeff "Grandpa"!!!!

Jeff retires on April 1st but his "official" retirement date isn't until July 1st. What a way to spend your accumulated vacation days....I just haven't figured out how to save my days. We hope that after retirement they will move back to Georgia or somewhere closer to Georgia but no plans have been made as of right now.

Company Retirement Party

No comments:

Post a Comment